Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Western Digital My Passport Slim 1TB Review

It's been months since we last reviewed a portable storage device, the Western Digital My Passport Ultra, which I can say is a total performer. It's fast and very handy, and has a big file capacity too. But things get better with the new My Passport Slim, not only in terms of performance but also in the physical design, which really stands out in the crowd. We got a unit here with us (1TB model) and finally here's our review.

For a very little introduction, the WD My Passport Slim, is of course,  a part of the My Passport series, which is Western DIgital's family of portable storages. There are 2 capacities available, 1TB and 2TB.

Specifications

USB 3.0/2.0 interface
Capacities: 1TB/2TB
Dimensions
  • 1 TB
    • Height: 4.33 in. (110 mm)
    • Depth: 0.48 in. (12.3 mm)
    • Width: 3.14 in. (80 mm)
    • Weight: 0.30 lb (0.134 kg)
  • 2 TB
    • Height: 4.33 in. (110 mm)
    • Depth: 0.70 in. (18 mm)
    • Width: 3.14 in. (80 mm)
    • Weight: 0.48 lb (0.22 kg)
Data Transfer Rate:
  • 5GB/s max (USB 3.0)
  • 480MB/s max (USB 2.0)
System Compatibility:
  • Windows 8
  • Windows 7
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows XP
  • Mac OS X (requires reformatting)
Temperature:
  • Operating: 41°F to 95°F/5°C to 35°C
  • Non-operating: -4°F to 149°F/-20°C to 65°C

Package Contents

The Western Digital My Passport Slim comes with a USB cable, the Smartware Pro software, a soft pouch, and the quick install guide.



Design

The WD My Passport Slim is a feast in the eyes. It looks so good that you don't want to just place it anywhere. The metal enclosure is not only exquisite, but assures you of physical protection, unlike the My Passport Ultra which is a little plasticky. It's a total solid device and there's no creaking sound when I tried to bend it. I can say Western Digital did a great job here.


The USB port and the LED notification light.

The back part of the WD My Passport Slim
Also, the My Passport Slim is really slim, compared to other portable drives out there, it's very easy and comfortable to hold in the hand, not bulky (which I felt on the My Passport Ultra) and very light.    


Features

Ultra-fast transfer rates - With a USB 3.0 port, you can read and write files at great speed (up to 3x times faster than on a USB 2.0 port), But keep in mind that your computer's specs (such as processor) may affect the drives performance)

Automatic Backup software - With the WD Smartware Pro, you can opt for automatic continuous backup, or a scheduled backup.

Local and Cloud backup - You can choose to save your files locally,  and backup them with your Dropbox account. 

Works great with Windows 8 -WD's Windows 8 app shows your contents automatically and in an organized fashion so that you can easily access your files.

USB 3.0 and 2.0 compatibility - Compatible with both USB 3.0 and 2.0 ports.

WD Drive Utilities - you can register your device here, run diagnostics, set drive timer, and more. 

USB-powered - no need for an external power supply. Simply plug it in a USB port and you're good to go.

Durable enclosure protects the drive inside - The metallic enclosure not only looks good, but it adds a layer of protection to the drive.

Soft pouch included - comes with the My Passport Slim. For protection from scratches.

Software

When I first opened the WD My Passport Slim Drive in my laptop, I was greeted by the usual software and manuals that comes bundled with WD portable storage devices, just like in the My Passport Ultra. There's the WD Apps Setup application, the users and manuals, and some extras. Very handy in case you need to know more about the drive.


The WD Smartware is easy to install. The interface of the app is intutive and very user friendly. It's all you need to properly manage your portable drive.



Performance

Just like what we did at the My Passport Ultra, here are some of the benchmarking results we've got (All tests are done with a USB 2.0 port):

Above is the result of the CrystalDiskMark 3.0.3 Shizuku Edition (on a USB 2.0 port) and impressively, it surpassed what the My Passport Ultra got in the benchmark!

ATTO Disk Benchmark (click image for a bigger view)
Meanwhile, the image above shows the performance of the My Passport Slim on the ATTO Disk Benchmark and it is consistent with what it got on the CrystalDiskMark. 

HD Tune Pro benchmark (click image for a bigger view)
Finally, we tested the device using the HD Tune Pro, and it marked a little lower than the previous benchmark results. In my opinion, the device is starting to heat up at that time that may have caused the slower performance.

We also did a little copying of files to the drive. First we copied a 1.30GB file in it and it only took 58 seconds! Peak speed is at 73.5 MB/s.


I then copied a larger file (3.43GB) and it finished at 2 minutes and 20 seconds. Still good so far, although the speed is getting slower.

The WD My Passport Slim performs quietly and you won't hear the spinning sound. It does warms up after some use but it's quite normal.

Anyways, if you have a USB 3.0 port plus good computer specs, expect a faster reading and writing and speed.

Conclusion

All I can say is that the My Passport Slim is a great achievement for Western Digital: it's a nice combination of performance and aesthetics in one single device. It's a slim beauty yet very capable and reliable.

Pros:
elegant metallic design
sturdy build yet very light
fast and quiet performance
nice, intuitive, and user-friendly software

Cons:
None (I think)

The My Passport Slim is priced at PHP 5,190 for the 1TB version, and is now available at selected retailers. Meanwhile, the 2TB one costs PHP 8,490 but I'm not sure of it's available already. I'll update this post soon as I get the info.

P.S.

You can check out the offical product site HERE.

Also, if you want, you can check out reviews of famous tech sites through the links below: